Canberra is located approximately 3 hours from the Snowy Mountains, which makes it the perfect stop over point if you are travelling to the snow from Sydney or Melbourne.
From here, you can easily plan a road trip or a weekend getaway with your family, loved ones or friends and experience winter at its best. Enjoy a relaxing scenic drive from Canberra to the Snowy Mountains and take time to stop and visit:
- Cooma: headquarters of the Snowy Mountains Scheme. Learn about Australia’s largest engineering scheme built to provide hydroelectricity and irrigation to South Eastern Australia
- Snowy River: Continue your journey over the famous Snowy River which forms Lake Jindabyne
- Experience Ski-tube train: from Bullocks Flat take the famous Skitube train through the Snowy Mountains to Perisher Valley Ski Resort and be mesmerised by the view of Mt Kosciuszko
- Discover a region alive with winter activities: ski or snowboard at famous resorts such as Thredbo, Perisher Blue and Mt Selwyn resorts
- Take a break and have lunch at the highest ski resort in Australia, Mt Blue Cow.
- Corin Forest is the perfect first snow experience for all ages, located only 45 minutes from Canberra’s CBD. Build a snowman, throw a snowball and then go tobogganing. Enjoy the Snowplay area which runs three 2.5 hour sessions daily.
Spend a Weekend in the Heart of Canberra
Canberra is an excellent location for a weekend break, with culture, great food and wine, shopping and historical experiences all on the doorstep of Crowne Plaza Canberra. Our hotel is located just 2 minutes walk from the city’s best shopping precinct and it’s just a five minute drive to Parliament House, The Australian War Memorial and the Australia Museum, each a must-see attraction.
What’s on in Canberra – the 2015 Truffle Festival
Travelling in July or August 2015? This is perfect timing to experience Canberra’s famous Truffle Festival, an eight week event full of truffle tasting, hunting and experiences that are sure to delight your tastebuds.
Concierge Tip: We recommend that our guests take a short 15 – 20 minutes drive to Mount Majura and experience truffle hunting, cheese and wine tasting. Canberra’s French Black Truffle farm showcases some of the region’s best Perigord truffle, and the vineyard next door offers a cosy cellar door and delicious range of wines.
Another 5 minutes away is Pod Cafe where you get to unwind in a garden style cafe and enjoy delicious fresh local produce, including a Truffle infused lunch. Retire in the evening at Redsalt Restaurant overlooking Glebe Park and tantalise your taste buds with our fresh regional produce or alternatively, our 2 or 3 course truffle dinner menu during the Truffle season.