One of the best things about Canberra is how close together so many interesting and fun activities are. Read on to discover 10 great activities close to the hotel.
We completely understand if you want to cosy up in your comfy room and indulge in some R&R but if you want to get out and explore then we can help. Start planning the itinerary for your next Canberra getaway with our top ten things to do within a ten minute walk from the hotel.
1. Go shopping at The Canberra Centre. Stock up on the latest tech at the Apple Store, update your wardrobe at Zara, Saba, Hugo Boss or one of the many fashion retailers or just enjoy one of the delicious dining options. Right next door to The Canberra Centre you will find Trove Canberra, a delightful curation of local artists’ wares. This is where to find items that are created locally, by hand and with love. If you are looking for something special or a gift, you can find jewellery, clothing, millinery, ceramics, homewares, candles, soaps, cards, chocolate and much more.
Or venture a little further to the boutiques in Braddon, less than 5 minutes by car.
2. Discover great Canberra coffee to get your day off to a great start. While other cities in Australia often get all the glory for being ‘coffee capitals’, Canberra has a surprisingly thriving coffee scene. The Cupping Room is one of our favourites and while it’s more of a 14-minute walk, we believe you can get there in 10 minutes when lured by a good coffee! The Cupping Room is as much about coffee education as it is about making you your preferred cup. And, if you are thinking about changing up your regular morning order, have a chat to the team there about all things coffee. Another local find is Dobinsons Bakery Café, a counterpoint to the trendy industrial or organic single origin haunts that are currently all the rage. This bakery café is always packed with locals and the selection of bakery treats is tempting!
3. For the art lovers, visit the Canberra Museum & Gallery, where you will find an interesting variety of permanent and temporary exhibitions. If it is your first visit to Canberra, check out the Canberra Stories exhibition which visually represents the local community and speaks to diversity and the theme of ‘Canberra as Meeting Place’.
4. Settle into a comfy chair at the Civic Library and read some books, leaf through a magazine or get transported on adventures far away with an audio book.
6. See a theatre production or concert at the Canberra Theatre Centre. From theatre to dance to family friendly shows, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Have a look at the upcoming shows and book your tickets here.
7. Swim some laps, do a class or learn to swim at Canberra Olympic Pool. Heated and indoor, this pool is great to keep fit and energised no matter the time of year.
8. Grab a drink or enjoy a meal at one of the many dining precincts in the area. Foodie culture is alive in Canberra and local produce is a key feature. You don’t even have to venture outside the hotel, Redsalt Restaurant showcases everything to love about Canberra food. If you are staying for a few nights, have a chat to the concierge team about what kind of food you love and they will point you towards something you are bound to enjoy.
Take a tour and see the sights. Jump on the Red Explorer bus from outside the hotel and take a coach tour of major sights, you can’t come to Canberra and not see Parliament House at least once!
Come and discover Canberra for your next getaway. Crowne Plaza Canberra is the ideal choice for your Canberra CBD hotel stay. To find the perfect accommodation package click here